Wednesday 19 September 2012

Craftswoman adds colour and style to dull surroundings


“I love filling empty spaces with colour and design, so I can paint on any kind of surface from cloth, wood, ceramics to glass and mirrors,” says 31 year old Fatema K. Hussain, an accomplished craftswoman, who with her creativity can turn the ordinary into extraordinary.

Furniture, hand bags and wallets, jewellery, clothes, trays, decoration pieces, perfumes- name it, and she has it all in her interesting collection. She makes these various products at home and has regular exhibitions of her work, where when I went for the first time this year, I came to realize that almost anything and everything I put my hand on was sold out already.

Fatema’s exceptionally unique style of designing is visibly imprinted on all her pieces. She uses deep and strong colour combinations which attracts people’s attention. Appreciation for her work is not restricted to any age group. Working with materials and ideas around her she lends her signature style to every item she makes and paints.
Roaming endlessly in the markets of Karachi, Fatema always tries to find the ideal piece of furniture or jewellery to transform. Also, she makes use of any recycled material that she can get hold of. Minimum she takes three days to make an item. Her products are reasonably priced at rupees 100 to 10,000, considering the hard work and the long hours which have to be put in to make a final, perfect piece.

When asked about her inspiration, Fatema proudly says, “I paint according to my own inspiration and inclination but I do customise according to my clients tastes and requirements. I have been inspired by traditional and regional craft and incorporated it, heavily, into my work. I love truck art and am greatly enthused by its sharp and brilliant colours and designs. Also, I enjoy working with ajrak and block prints. My vision is to embellish everyday household items and bring in vivid colour in our daily surroundings and items of use; and with this method refurbish and revive old furniture as well.”

One would think that such a talented woman always had it all figured out, but that where she surprises you…

No comments:

Post a Comment